c643274f0992e82663885ef162b3448caf8ae2f2
[blog.git] / _posts / 2008-05-02-more_boring_ftpmaster_posts.markdown
1 ---
2 layout: post
3 title: More boring ftpmaster posts
4 date: '2008-05-02 23:11:55 +0000'
5 mt_id: 219
6 blog_id: 1
7 post_id: 219
8 basename: more_boring_ftpmaster_posts
9 categories:
10 - ftpmaster
11 ---
12 Lets go on your nerves again with a ftpmaster post about work I've done in the recent past.
13
14 - The [already mentioned](http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/04/27/byebye-britney-no-more-testing.html) move of britney. And it [seems that](http://chistera.yi.org/~adeodato/blog/entries/2008/04/30/miscbits.html) this did help, so something that should have been done way earlier already... Oh well.
15
16 - Enabled a few triggers for the qa user on merkel. While I already mentioned them in my first post, there is a third one now. The qa user now gets notified at the beginning of the dinstall run, so the pages can show why packages might not be visible in the archive *and* in incoming right now.
17
18 - [Split up](http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/05/01/splitting-huge-mbox-files.html) the insanely huge mbox files we had as the ftpmaster mail archive. They got that big because the monthly cronjob rotating them got disabled when the ftp-master archive went away from raff, and noone bothered to reenable that job. Done now, so we are back to a manageable size. (Even if 90% of the content is spam, no matter how much greylisting and blacklists are activated :( ).
19
20 - Just committed a largish change thats nothing more than a **cleanup**. Someone in the past did love to not care about tab versus spaces for the indentation, so dak code ended up with a mess of tab/space mix for indentation. Which is not nice, one style is way better. Fixed that with the help of reindent.py, which one can find in Pythons examples.
21
22 - Got the code on security.debian.org to use the latest dak revision from ftpmaster. It was a few commits behind, but worse - it did have one dak tool changed in a way that it only worked on security, no longer on ftpmaster. Also some files that clearly have been copied by scp -r or rsync, but not using the VCS that **should** be used for it. Args. Brrrr. The "fix" was a simple check if that value the code wants to use from the config file actually exists, instead of blindly assuming it will always be there.
23
24 - Generally looked around on security.debian.org, to get more familiar with the setup there, so I can work on a request I got from some members of the security teams: Run a queue daemon that manages the upload of the packages from the security archive to the normal archive (so they end up in proposed-updates). Currently it is done with some lftp calls within the script that does the security install, and that seems to break every now and then. Which means security uploads to proposed-updates randomly go MIA. Using a queue daemon and then only locally copy files into its dir should make that way more reliable.
25
26 - Used a tool from Dato and enabled bzr commit mails for the ftpmaster dak tree, they are now going to [the dak](http://lists.debian.org/debian-dak/) list.
27
28 - Modified the cronjobs that are expected to have output to log that into files in a new logdir. Also modified the cron.daily AKA dinstall cronjob to be more verbose about the actions done. The directory is synced to merkel too (log/cron in the ftp.debian.org tree), so every DD who wants to can look at them now.
29
30 - I also merged a small patch from Thomas, fixing/unifying some wording in reject messages.